Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering help?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roostr3269, Jul 20, 2001.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

i have a 1972 jimmy with 8 inch susp. lift, and 3 inch body lift. all steering components are stock, and u can imagine what its like. trying to keep it in a straight line is a job, especially with the bumpsteer. i got a price from ORU and they quoted me $850.00 for just crossover steering for my application, not to mention new 2wd steering box. If any1 out there knows any1 with a better price or alternate solution without reducing lift would be greatly appreciated, thanx roostr32 p.s. dana 44 up front, with 39 inch mickey thompsons around

live to wheel, wheel to live

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for cheep you could keep the stock push-pull steering and add a 4" raised steering arm and a 2" drop pitman arm. For about $100 you could have the steering almost back to normal on the street. You could also make your own cross-over steering.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

3. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

read this if you haven't
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/crossoversteering.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/crossoversteering.shtml</a>

there are quite a few posts in the ORD section covering crossover steering...i don't know how much all the necessary parts cost when purchased from ORD

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

4. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

thanx alot guys, i am gonna get with my buddy, i call him mcgyver, he can make pretty much anything, thanx again, ill keep u posted

live to wheel, wheel to live

5. Thrashed68

Thrashed68 Registered Member

I saw a cross over set up on a 76 once that was a bit different. The guy used a 2 wheel box with a dropped pitman arm, and made his own drag link. By turning his tie rod around and using the factory steering stabilizer hole as the connect point. I think there was a Heim joint there. As far as how it worked, I cant say as I never drove it. But he said that it completly took care of all his bump steer... Seems to me that would be a bit cheaper then a complete knuckle swap etc. Just my 2 bits.

Skin grows back, Parts cost money!