Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDELBLAZ, Mar 9, 2000.

1. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

I HEARD YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT TURNING THE SCREW ON THE STEERNG BOX TO MAKE THE STEERING TIGHTER MINE IS A LITTLE LOOSE AND WAS WONDERING HOW MANY OR HOW MUCH OF A TURN IT WILL TAKE AND WEATHER IT WAS CLOCKWISE OR COUNTER CLOCKWISE YOUR HELP WITH THIS QUESTION WOULD BE GREAT THANX

2. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

You gatta be careful whan adjusting this screw. The screw adjusts the prelaod (or tension) on the gears inside the steering box. According to the Chiltons you disconnect the steering going where it hooks up to your steering box and check the torque required to turn the input shaft into the steering box. Chilton's says it should take 4-6 in.-lb. of torque(if i remember correctly) to turn the input. You should turn the screw in until you reach this torque. The problem i had 0n my 81 Blazer was that the gears were worn in the center of the steering arc so when I tightened the screw it worked great for driving straight but when i went past about 3/4 to one turn from center the gears went into the area that wasn't worn. The problem with this is that the screw was adjusted ok for the worn center portion but way to tight for harder turning. Results... well just trust me that when I made my first corner and the steering did not return to center from the turn, I almost messed up my sweet Blazer, a couple of other cars, and my drawers. NOT FUN! The moral to this book is you have to adjust...test drive...adjust...test drive and find a happy medium between a little bit of center play and returning to center from a turn. Go slow on the test drives and have fun!

Blaze81