Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Mar 18, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Today when I was pulling into a parking lot I think my steering took a turn for the worst. ha ha =-( I have always heard clunks in my steering but today when i turn the wheel and I'm not moving it's like the steering gives out. I can turn the steering wheel about half way around and the tires respond, but then theres like a grindy, clunky, noise and the wheels no longer respond, as if something is slipping. Is this the steering gear box? Could it possibly be time for a new one? any thoughts?

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Check for cracks in the frame around the steering box...Common problem on K5'S..Dan

3. 76_Cheyenne

Theres no crack there. I just put a ORD steering box brace on a month ago. I think this is a problem somewhere in the steering like the box. Thanks

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Put the tire up against the curb, pop the hood, and have someon turn the wheel while you are crawling all over the truck looking at all steering components.

5. 76_Cheyenne

I fixed it! It was a silly thing. When I put my new headers on I had to remove the power steering pump off the block and when I reattached it the belt was to loose, so when the pump was under pressure the belt slipped. Thanks for the help.