Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coopertwpk, Jan 9, 2001.

1. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I just installed a BDS 4"steering arm (I have a 4"lift )and everytime i hit a bump the blazer changes directions whats up with this?I have new tie rod ends at the wheels and new ball joints ,the guys at work think its my gear box,it holds straight but bumps makes it move right or left.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Try retorqing your U-Bolt on the springs to start with. With the weight of the truck on them. You alwasy need to retorq after installing them and driving some to get them settled. Also make sure the front springs are sitting flat on the purches. Most front springs have long center pins to be used with a degree wedge used to correct driveline angle. If they are not used the bins will bottom out before the spring is held flat to the purch. Next thing and the thing that really improved that problem on my truck was the ORD steering brace.
    The raised steering arm puts extra leverage on your steering box and frame. The frame flexes a lot. Have somebody saw the wheel back and forth while you watch the box. It will surprise you how much movement goes on there. The ORD brace will remove most of that flex. Also you will be able to see movement at the spring purches if those springs are not seated correctly.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

One added note, how old is your steering stabilizer?? May be time for a new one.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

you may need a new stabilizer, but I"m not sure if thats the problem. Right now I have new tie rod ends, a 3" lift, no steering correction and no stabilizer, and that doesn't happen. maybe something on the draglink is loose?

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

Hey I'm havfing the same problem too. Something definitely is different with my steering. I already have installed the ORD steering brace and that worked great, but actually I thought that the raised stering arm was supposed to stiffen up the bump-steer, but the opposite has happened. I have a brand neww Rancho 5000 stering stabilizer too and the front end is tight. Really everyhting I did up to the point of replacing the steering arm gradually tightend up the steering. I was wondering if a Rancho 9000 set at either 4 or 5 would stiffen it up enough. Has anyone tried this? Either that or a dual steering with the shocks pointed in differnt directions. All I know is that the 4" steering arm changed something. I'm sure I'll get more articulation becasue the drag link isn't at a maxed out angle anymore. Oh yeah I also have the ORD swaybar disconnect kit installed too. Could the comination of that and the raised steering arm make it loose feeling. Now when I say loose feeling I don't mean that I have any play in the steering, but It kind of feels like there is half the resistance when making a turn or when I hit a bump it hops too. See I bought this blazer used and the guy who had it before me obviously didn't know what he was doing as far as the lift kit installation, so I've been mopping up after his mistakes ever since I bought it. Even you don't have an answer for me just let me know if your steering felt different after installing your raised steering arm too. If it's something I have to get used to then I will, but I liked how it used to feel before the steering arm was replaced.

Mich89k5

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My steering feel got better after I installed a 4" steering arm.
    -- Mike

7. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I would go back to stock steering.

8. DERBST

DERBST Registered Member

You may have over compensated for your lift. You say you have a 4" lift but in reality you probably don't. But now you have a 4" raised steering arm. You may have been better off going with a dropped draglink instead. I have a 6" lift, added the 4" steering arm and then a 2" dropped draglink to make up my 6" and had the same problem you have. I took the 2" draglink off and replaced my stock piece, this solved my problem.
    Those pesky little degree wedges also cause some of this, you need to retain your stock angle at your knuckles, take it to an alignment shop and have it checked, I pulled my wdges from my front axle also. My Blazer is my daily driver through downtown Dallas everyday and I fought those same problems. Good Luck !

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Well I think my problem is the frame flex ,the 4' leaves are closer to 5" at the moment so when they settle ill install a 1" add aleaf so tommorrow ill order a steering brace .the drag link is almost level now so thats not the problem

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s