Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Sep 11, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

As i was watching trucks this weekend they were doing a Lift on a IFS truck and i got an idea for steering on a SFA conversion. View attachment untitled.bmp

with this i would be able to keep the stock cross over on the truck and not have to find flat top kunckels and have then drilled and tapped. I would use DOM tube to construct it and use plate steel to box it in and make it stronger.

Would it be possible to replace the stock tierod and run a tie rod from each side of the steering drop right to the axle.

please give me your opinion on my idea

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Hate to break it to you, but what you'd get there is a whole LOT of change in toe with suspension movement. A+ on thinking though.

Can't call it Bumpsteer b/c both tires would change in the opposite direction. Meaning if one pointed in with suspension movement, the other would too. If one pointed out with suspension movement, the other would too.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if the tie rods are attached to the same lower part how would it be any different than an IFS rig, how would this cause such a great change of toe with the suspension travel?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It'd either break your tie-rod ends off, or break the steering box and idler off as the suspension compressed straightening your draglinks...

Single draglink and crossover can contend with the suspension compressing.

Rene

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Build it with popsicle sticks and thumbtacks and you will see the problem.:D As in a miniature working model not actually make it on your truck our of popsicle sticks and thumbtacks:haha: . Wow I kill myself sometimes:D .

Ira