Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Feb 26, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was looking at my buddy's stock car last night and noticed he had a steering quickiner/reducer it got me think about buying one and putting it on my mudbogger the one he has is a 2 to 1 ratio I think it would work great in the deep mud when you went to saw the wheels back and forth . I also thought maybe you krawlin' guys might benefit from using this the opposite way by slowing down the ratio (less force required to turn the wheel ) I know that either way this would not be a street setup but it sure is cheaper than ram assit the quickiners cost about $130.00 what do you guys think? good idea or am I just smoking my underwear /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You could use it the opposite way to make it steer slower, but it would also put that much more stress on an already weak area of the frame. Personally I'd rather spend $400 on ram assist and have it work great than $130 on a band aid that might bust the frame. Now, a 2:1 quickener with ram assist would be kinda cool... One turn of the wheel from lock to lock! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Might be a bit twitchy on the street though. </font>

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the greatest thing about the hydro asisst is that it takes nearly all the stress away from the famously weak Chevy steering box area, in addition to the ability to turn your steering shaft by hand when your rig is crossed up on the rocks.

might be an idea for the mud guys, but the hydro will always be the choice for the rocks.

Actually, wouldn't the Sand People like the quick ratio thingie? i would imagine speeding through the desert the fast response would be benifical. dunno... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Zakk, how DARE you refer to them as "Sand People"! That's totally unacceptable, just because they don't like to wheel on rocks is no reason to go around calling them names! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Just messin with you. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

5. yellowK20

Thanks guys I forgot about the frame strenght issue both my trucks hvae the brace and I'll probaly put one on the bogger also the quickiner on the street would be scary but for an offroad only truck I think it would be cool I didn't now the ram assit's were so cheap $400 does that include every thing ?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

for $399 (if you are a CK5.com member, Matt rebuilds and taps you 2WD box you ship him and sends you everything you need to install it. Plus, Matt is an all around good guy and you should vote for him and Toby to go to TTC 2003 (numbers Matt=66 and Toby=54, respectivly.)

How's that for a shameless plug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Zakk, how DARE you refer to them as "Sand People"! That's totally unacceptable, just because they don't like to wheel on rocks is no reason to go around calling them names! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Just messin with you. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

it was even capitalized as a matter of respect!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just can't win /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. yellowK20

That's cool I'm going to be getting my CK5 membership as soon as I get some time to send Swanson52 his spring hangers That he's been so patiently waiting for (Thanks For understanding ) I have a 2-wheel box I guess I 'll start setting money aside for that also /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

For sand and higher speeds, the quicker ratio would be beneficial... Remember that it can also be affected by varying pitman arm and steering knuckle lengths. I've seen this "little ratio quickener" on several race trucks.

Marv