Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Is Tooooo Loooose

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Jul 2, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

My truck has power steering, and a single steering stabalizer. I love the steering offroad (I can spin the wheel and 33" tires with my pinky finger) but as soon as I find a buyer for my Explorer, my Blazer is going to be my Daily Driver, and it wanders EVERYWHERE on the freeway. I constantly have to give it a little tap right and left to keep it tracking straight. Would a sway bar help (if so do you have a website or info about it since truck never had one), also I would really like to tighten up my steering so that it isn't so darn sensitive/touchy. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

What does you rag joint look like?

3. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I have a '72 w/ similar probs.

1) Start at the steering wheel. W/ truck turned off turn wheel while having someone watching the steering joint (the coupler up from the steering gear box, and about 1/2 way up between the rag joint and the firewall. If the bottom 1/2 of the shaft stays still while the top half moves all over....your prob is at the joint.

2) Check the clamp that is designed to secure the column to the firewall. If a body lift has been put on, these often "forgotten" to be put back on. This clamp keeps the steering column from moving around w/in the hole in the firewall.

3) now lift front end off of ground & support. Leave truck off. Turn steering wheel. If the steering shaft moves together (top of joint and bottom of joint), but you need to keep turning further to make the wheels turn, your problem is prob at the rag joint (just above the steering gear box) and/or in the gear box itself.

4) Make sure that all 4 bolts holding the steering gear box to the frame are tight.

Check these things out before you look at the actual stering components or add a sway/stabilizer bar.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

It could be the style of steering box you have. Some of the chevy boxes are constant ratio boxes and other years have a variable ratio box.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Another simple test:

Start the engine and have someone crank the wheel quickly from left to right while you watch the balljoints/tie rod ends. If they're worn, you will see them LIFT up out of the mounting points....

I had a sloppy D44 in mine when I first got it. Step one was replacing the draglink ends......nice simple project and it helped a lot. Ball joints would have been next, but I added a swaybar instead (after making a spring change) and then went D60 so I never bothered doing ball joints.

FWIW /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Check the Pitman arm, where it attache's to the sector shaft. The bolt stretche's, and the Pitman arm will be loose on the shaft, mine doe's this about once a year. Just tighten the bolt.

Sector Shaft [shaft coming out of steering box].