Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering issue.... pump or box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Aug 1, 2006.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I recently swapped in a Dana 60 in my 75 K5. It has ORD high steer and crossover steering. I used a 73 C10 steering box to fit the cross over steering. When the box was off it seemed to turn very smoothly, was tight, and it seemed like a good box. I put it on, bleed the system a number of times, and it seemed to move very smoothly back and forth with the wheels in the air. When I try to drive the truck, it is basically impossible to turn to the left... feels like I do not have power steering to the left, but works great to the right. I have bleed the system numerous times.... the last couple times no air showed in the pump while we were cycling the steering so I don't think air in the system is an issue.

So I have been told that the problem is the pump, and someone else told me the issue was the box. Before the new steering box went on I could drive down the road with one finger so I have a hard time believing the pump could just go bad. Anyone had any experiences with something like this? Hate to run down and spend the money on a new box if I don't have to.

[​IMG]

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its the box. I know when I worked on tractors, you had to set the box right or it would do that. So im thinking of the adjustment screw maybe. Let some others chime in and see.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I kinda had the same deal but it was the pump. I went through 3 in a week and finally the 3rd was an ac delco pump instead of the crappy autozne remans and it works fine.

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I adjusted the allen on the top and the steering just got loose - more wander in it going down the road.

If I understand correctly the pump usually gives you some warning that it is going out, correct? Anyway to test the pump or box to be sure which one is the problem?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Ttt

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its the box...

A power steering pump doesn't know right from left!--it only pumps fluid,so if it works in one direction,its working..the box has the valving and gears that do the turning..I'd say the box is internally damaged somehow,maybe one of the ball bearings on the worm shaft jammed up or something..I'd change the box first..I really doubt the pump is bad..dont risk your life and others by using an "iffy" steering box--they fail quite often when subjected to the heavy loads of big tires and heavy rims..:crazy:

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I hear you about the safety issue. I tired to do a little low speed test ride, and it hit a bump, forced the wheels to full lock and put a slice in a brand new Bogger. :angry1: That is what I get for being impatient I guess. Thanks for that Diesel.