Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering Issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CrazyJoe73, Mar 11, 2006.

1. CrazyJoe73

CrazyJoe73 Registered Member

I have a 1972 k5. I am it lifting 6" , swaping a dana 60 in it and moving the axle forward 2" with 38.5" tsl's. I am wondering if cross over steering will fix the steering geomitry or will I have to do something else?:dunno:

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Moving the axle forward like that, crossover is a must. You cannot use the original steering setup. The arm will be too short and near vertical.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And besides for moving your axle forward, whenever a truck is lifted 6" or higher, you will get bump steer with "push-pull" steering; no matter what steering correction modifications you do to the factory drag-link.

I just put a set of Tuff Country 6" lift springs on the front of my truck. I corrected the stock "push-pull" steering with a 2" dropped pitman arm, and a 3" raised steering block. My truck's handling is great as long as I am on smooth road, or small bumps. But whenever I hit a bump big enough, I get bump steer like crazy. And nothing short of putting a cross-over steering system on my truck is going to fix it.

4. CrazyJoe73

Thanks! I knew that I would get an inteligent ansewer here. Up here in the north east every one looks cross eyed at you when it comes to Chevy stuff, it s all Jeeps with Chevy drive-train here.

So the cross over should do it. As long as I buy a quality set up like Dynatrac or something?

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

ORD and several others make kits. Several people here, including me, have made our own.

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of everybody's favorite companies for getting a cross-over steering system is Off Road Deaign (ORD). Here is a link to their web site.

http://offroaddesign.com/Dana60crossover.htm

I am thinking of going with a cross-over system from a company called Sky Manufacturing because I allready have a Sky Manufacturing Heavy-Duty tie rod.

7. CrazyJoe73

Thanks for the help!:bow: