Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burban1500, Mar 7, 2006.

1. burban1500

burban1500 Registered Member

For some time the burb has been making a clickin/popping noise which definately seems to be coming from the 10 blt front end. It happens when turning both left and right at a stand still or when making turns around town. All my tie rod ends are new and i recently did the ball joints which had plenty of slop in them. The noise stopped for about a day or two after i did the ball joints but then started back up and is even worse then before the ball joints were done. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out whom has had any similiar problems. Thanks and sorry for the long post.-Doug
    P.S.-i checked all the bolts for tightness and my shackle/spring bushings are in good shape.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

check your axle ujoints

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

When was the last time that the u-joints between the front axle's inner and outer half-shafts were inspected or replaced?

edit: dammit, 1979jimmy350 beat me to it!

4. burban1500

they are the stockers but i did pull them and inspected for play when i did the ball joints and all is well. Would they really make such a noise just from turning? They do have many many miles on them as the truck was used on the beach its hole life but their seems to be no play in them at all.They have also been sunk in a couple holes over the years so maybe its time.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the same problem. its been doing it for almost a year and everything works fine. in a couple of weeks im going to be doing some suspension/axle/steering work and thats one thing im going to work on. Ill let you know what I find out if you dont figure it out by then.

6. burban1500

you can hear the popping sound when the windows are shut and its really getting to me. I can also feel it in the steering wheel once in a while if this helps any.-thanks for the replys

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well I fixed my popping. I replaced the front lift blocks (not installed by me) with a set of lift springs and it doesnt pop anymore.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

My sub also made a popping noise from the front end, especially when turning. I was sure it was in the suspension.
    After much work, trial and error, I found the problem to be a loose body mount bolt. It was the first one behind the passenger side front fender.

9. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bet your frame is cracked

10. burban1500

the body mount bolts are all tight as i recently did the body mounts and the frame isnt cracked, i cleaned all around the steering box and no cracks. Why would the noise stop for a day or two after doing ball joints then start back up again?

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Jack the whole front end off the ground onto jackstands and spin the wheels, do full lock to lock turning of the wheel to see if you can produce the noise while your there at the axle.

12. burban1500

ill give that a shot and let you know what happens.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Check every rivet..

Look at all the rivets in the frame where the crossmembers are connected to the main rails,make sure they are all there,and are tight!--look for cracks there too!..also the sway bar bushings, and where they clamp to the frame,if you still have yours on...spring bushings can "pop" too,and I see many K series trucks with a spring eye cracked or broken,especially on the front mount under the radiator support..sheared center bolts can do it too...

Any body mount can cause snapping or clicking noises if its got worn bushings,rusted away,etc..I assume the tie rod ends are good,and you say it has new balljoints,so they must be ok--and wheel bearings must be adjusted properly I guess..:confused: :crazy:

14. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Me thinks you got a loose nut behind the wheel :D Just kidding I think you have a loose bolt somewhere that is related to the front end