Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering jerk???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Mar 31, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

ok, i just finished up my t-case and was driving it and remembered that sometimes when i turn it takes a minute for the wheels to turn but when they do it jerks them the way i'm turning.

this is really getting annoying (or atleast it will get annoying again) since my alignment is off and it jerks when i just drive down the road since i have to hold the steering wheel a bit

any tips or advice would help... oh and i've replaced the power steering pump, but the steering gear box leaks real bad.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Get an alignment first

3. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

X2... I would think it would be hard to troubleshoot a steering problem when your front-end is already badly out of alignment.

4. 85 Jimmy

ok, well after i fix the alignment tomorrow at work what should i be looking for??? if that doesn't fix it.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Actually, you need to check all your parts before you get an alignment. They (you) won't be able to align anything if your ball joints/steering link/tie rods/wheel bearings are all blown out.

If all the hard parts are good, then check the soft parts. Spring eye bushings, tires for abnormal wear, sway bar bushings, etc.

6. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

your tires are going :yikes: sorry i cant help

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

When I agreed that having the front end done first was best, I assumed/meant those items would be checked at that point. Hence, I guess I should just say X2 again. lol

8. jfabert

jfabert 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a K10 that was doing that, you would have to turn the wheel 1/2 a turn before it would move the truck but when it did it would take off. Mine ended up being the usual frame break under the stearing box and the bolts would loosen up very quickley because of that. I would have to tighten them up every morning before I would go to work until I fixed it.

9. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

sounds like you need to go thru the whole system . could be any one of a number of things . i would start with fixing the leak and alignment . is your tie rod bent ? is the belt tight enough ?

10. 85 Jimmy

i've looked over all the hard parts and soft parts and they are all good, but they will get changed out eventually, and if the rod is bent it's not noticable. but when i have time next week to pull it in the shop and check it out i will, but today i drove it all day (after some mudding) and it drove fine all day. ohwell i guess i'll just start changing parts when i have time and money