Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering just went out! Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Mar 21, 2001.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Need some input. I was driving to work today and made a right turn, then the steering went heavy and very wobbly. I could turn the steering wheel about 180 degrees and the truck didnt turn. when the steering wheel was straight the truck went right and left on its own. nothing underneath looks like its broke or disconnected. Is this a steering box problem or what? 87 Jimmy stock with no lift or mods.

thanks
    Craig

[​IMG]

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    If evrything under neith appears ok (all the ball joints good, no bent centerlinks or anything like that) I would guess there is some stripped gears in the stearing box. Try putting the truck on jack stands, put the key in and use a pry bar aginst the pitman arm. Dont push too hard, but if you feel something pop over your gear box went bad. Ive never done this before so I dont know how well it will work or how much leverage i would put on it, but you may find something out that way. Just a thought. Also, did you check the rag joint or steering column itself? If i had to take bets I would guess the rag joint (the piece of cloth where the steering column meets the box) went bad.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Sparky on 03/21/01 11:41 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I concurr. First check the rag joint. It is the most likely culprit. Also, make sure that you have a good solid linkage from the steering wheel to the box. Have someone turn the steering wheel while it is parked (engine off) and look down at the linkage. If it's not there, you'll probably need a new gear.

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Well i just went back tonight (parked at a friends) and looked at it some more. with the car parked and turned off i can turn the steering shaft with my hand. Just above the rag joint. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is the shaft turning below the rag joint as well? If so, then it sounds like the box is broken internally. I've never heard of that happening, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. [​IMG]

You have to just follow the motion. Figure out what isn't moving when you turn the wheel. The input shaft to the steering box, then the output shaft, then the drag link, then the steering knuckle.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>