Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Linkage Question...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by v-3500, Apr 9, 2004.

1. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

Does ORD make heavy duty, factory design steering linkage, for both the tie rod steering drag link that runs from the lower right steering knuckle, to the lower left steering knuckle across the front differential, and the linkage that runs from the pitman arm to the upper left steering knuckle for a Dana 60?

91 Chevy V-3500 P/U Crew Cab 3+3 4X4 (Single Rear Wheel)

Eng: 350 Cu. In.

Trans: 700R4

Transfer Case: NP 205

Front Diff: Dana 60 4.10 ratio

Rear Diff: Corp 14 Bolt Detroit Locker 4.10 Ratio

/forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you want the larger tie rod tubes but with the stock type size ends, right?

I'm pretty sure the tubes can be drilled/tapped out to fit the smaller ends, on request, from whomever you want to get them from. But keeping the stock size ends is the whole idea of the larger tie rods/drag links: to eliminate breakage later by upgrading to the larger ends.

If you're wanting to keep the stock drag link at the pitman arm/driver side knuckle end, I'd leave the stock sleeve and ends alone. Or just buy some new fresh ends and reinstall them.

The tie rod I would definitely replace for a beefier one. Don't matter which ends you want, stock or oversized, I'd still replace them anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Not trying to be picky but you might want to check your tranny description ....... The only two tranny's that were offered in a 1991 V-3500 were a 465 or a 4L80E - not a 700R4/4L60E.

4. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

I am sorry if what I type confuses anybody. I want as beefy a set up as I can get, but I want to use the stock steering arm positions, and not the crossover steering set up. Since my truck is a long wheel base crew cab, it will never see any hardcore four wheeling. It does have larger tires (35/12.50/16.5), so I figured I should go with as beefy a steering linkage set up as is available. I know ORD makes the long steering linkage that runs from both sides of the lower steering knuckles across the front of the differential, but I am not sure if they make the shorter steering linkage that runs from the pitman arm to the upper left side steering knuckle. I also want to get the steering knuckle spring and bushing kit.

I thought I had a 4LE80 trans myself. I went to a web site that had a list of GM RPO codes, and I cross checked that list with the RPO codes in my trucks glove box. The RPO code for my trucks transmission was MXO, which according to the RPO code list is a TH 700 transmission...that is unless they used that same code for a 4LE80 transmission as well. MXO could just mean automatic transmission, but not be specific to the transmission type. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You can identify the tranny by the tail where the adapter bolts to it, (for 91) 6 bolts = 4L80E and 4 bolts = 4L60E.

BTW - GM never used a 205 behind a 700R4 or 4L60E any year.

6. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

I am going to run out and crawl under my truck in a little while to positively ID it. I have been to several different transmission web sites and there is a lot of conflicting information. One says MXO is for the TH700R4 and another says MXO or MX1 stands for the 4L80E. I bought this truck only three weeks ago, so I am still learning about it. All of my previous trucks where 70,s GM, so it was easy to figure out if it was either a TH350, TH400, SM 465, and so on, and so on.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My 1986 Blazer came with a TH700R4 and has a RPO code of "1MXO" and the description reads 4 speed automatic transmission. Maybe that is GM's code for any 4 speed auto ??? BUT one thing is for sure - GM did not EVER put a 700R4/4L60E in a One Ton truck .
    You are correct in that there is a bunch of conflicting info out there on our trucks but you have found one of the best sources of "GOOD" or "correct" GM truck info on this site and the two other members that have responded hear ( NEVRENUF & ThatK30Guy ) are very knowledgeable on this subject as well . Take note of what they are saying - most if not all of there info is rock solid and very accurate !
    Good luck and welcome to CK5 ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Tom

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We can do a HD replacement tie rod for you, the 1.5 x .375 wall DOM tube would probably be your best choice. The tube is $95.00 and the end kit is $80.00. It's all good heavy duty stuff so it should work for what you want. For the draglink, it's pretty hard to beat the factory setup. If you need new ends, just replace them, but it's very hard to damage the factory draglink under any conditions.