Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering lock up question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by l_niemetz, Sep 17, 2003.

1. l_niemetz

l_niemetz Registered Member

hi i just obtained my first k5, it is a 77 w/out an engine or tranny. the steering is locked because i dont have the key. you can probably guess my question which is how can i get the steering unlocked so i can turn the wheels? one person told me to just slam a screwdriver down the keyhole and turn it. i dont mind breaking anything to get it to steer but i dont want to break something that will render it unable to be steered at all. any help is appreciated.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull the column apart, and I *believe* if you remove the lock plate, you can reinstall the steering wheel and steer.

Unless you plan on never having to worry about theft, I strongly advise against breaking a column. Of course, if you have $75+, and a couple hours time to throw away, have at it, and try and replace it later.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A couple hours? I can have my column out in 15 minutes.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, there's enough stuff in the way that a pull/reinstall for a newbie would take a bit.

I added in the "first time" factor.