Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering off a bit!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy wrangler, Sep 28, 2006.

1. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

okay so i just installed a 6" lift and got a steering arm also, so my steeringwheel is off by a lot like half a turn in the middle!!! how do i adjust it????:confused: i know i adjust it @ the tie rods but i just dont know how , its so complicated!!!LOL:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Its not complicated, its really easy actually. Just adjust the pitman arm until the steering wheel is centered. If you make connection from the steering box to the steering arm longer by screwing the end links away from each other you will move your steering wheel to the right... I think... Or maybe its the left? Just play with it until its straight. Thats what I did.

~Brian

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Well, yeah, do what he said^^^^.

Except adjust the draglink and not the pitman arm. If you can adjust your pitman arm you probably have bigger issues to tackle.

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Don't disconnect anything. Just get the wheels straight, leave the key in the ignition so the steering wheel can turn, and loosen the clamps on the draglink. Then you can twist the adjusting sleeve untill the wheel is centered.

5. chevy wrangler

tried it but do i have to twist twist the arms, do i take it off of the steering arm??

6. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

No, you dont need to take anything off. Just twist the sleeve, after you losen the clamps. I've used channel locks or big pliers before to do it if it is stuck

7. MetalMelter

MetalMelter 1/2 ton status

Listen to Mr.fatbob, he's right loosen BOTH bolts on the adjusting sleeve. Right or left motion to the sleeve will cause the steering wheel to do the same. Steering radius should be correct center to center.
    It will come into adjustment one way or the other.Good luck/and good steering grasshopper....:D

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

There are two clamps on the drag link. Loosen them up but do not remove. If your in the tire well looking at the drag link - rotate it away from you (push) to make the drag link longer.

The drag link is just two jointed ends held together by a threaded sleeve. The threads on the ends have an opposing pitch. When you turn the sleeve in one direction it brings the ends closer together, turn in the opposite direction to spread them apart. The sleeve also has a slot down the length, you can use this to visually inspect the distance you push the ends out from the sleeve.

Here's a crude representation, my paint skills are limited. :D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  9. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Looking at the sleeve like you're behind the wheel. turn it left to turn the wheel right and the other for left... the other right.:P

10. chevy wrangler

??? i can see the search function is now being used!!!LOL