Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering off after wheeling?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85scottsdale, Feb 22, 2004.

1. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I have noticed that it seems like my steering will be become off-center when I do some off-roading stuff. Alignment doesn't seem to be affected, nor does the drag-link seem to change. I'm thinking something about the steering box or maybe my pitman arm is slipping on the shaft? That my only guess right now. I have one new drag link end and the other one seemed nice and tight. Anyone had this problem? I'm hoping I won't need a new gear box but I really doubt that unless the pitman shaft is screwed up?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Frame crack, or loose box bolts. Less likely but possible is a broken center pin in the front leaf pack.

Rene

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that used to happen to me all the forkin time! Then I tightened down the loose steering box bolts and installed a brace at the same time and it went away... [​IMG]

4. 85scottsdale

Just fixed my cracked frame, i'll check to make sure the bolts haven't loosened up. Also have new springs in the front from my lift, they haven't even been off-road.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If the center pin size is smaller than the hole in the pad it will allow a little movement and if you have stock steering it is worse.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine did that for the first two years I owned mine.........then in early 2003 my tie rods went south and ended up getting new tie rods, draglink ends etc. When it went bad it felt like tire was folded under truck, but they didn't actually break /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 85scottsdale

Problem solved! The steering box bolt were loose. Maybe I should put some loc-tight on them.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I had the loose bolt syndrome. My box loosened up twice on one trail last time. That was the end of that. I got the next longer bolt and now have lock nuts on the outside.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I got the next longer bolt and now have lock nuts on the outside.

[/ QUOTE ] That is a great idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Frame crack, or loose box bolts. Less likely but possible is a broken center pin in the front leaf pack.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that happened to me before, the centering pin was the culprit.
    But then I had all the others one time or the other, from cracked frame to loose bolts to bad ball joints to slop in the box and finally the rag joint.
    Now i have all the reinforcements and the tightness and I will be upgrading my rag joint to U joints, I hate slop in the steering.
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif