Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Feb 11, 2007.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright.. this is starting to get annoying now,, my trucks a DD so its more noticeable/annoying, but while im wheeling.. or just trying to play on small obsticles like i do.. my steering wheel always ends up being all off. for example the other day i was out at the normal wheeling spot, trying to flex up onto a big boulder.. had to give it a lil gas to like pop it up onto the rock, it worked.. not like im slaming it at high speeds into things, but after i get down.. my steering wheel is off a ton. I flexed out with my right front wheel adn now my wheel instead of being flat even.. is 90degrees off u could say. usually it stays like this for a while until i flex the other side or wheel it and it gets bounced around a bit. i have the ORD frame brace in there. My truck is running no sway bar, 6" springs and a dana 44 front open. i just dont get why it does this, makes no sense, i've checked all my bolts, everythings tight. Anyone have a clue what could cause this?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Either your steering box is loose on the frame or you have bent your draglink. Those are the only 2 things that will cause your steering wheel to change positions.

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hmm ill have to check it again tmrow... but my drag link looked dead straight. i forgot to mention i just have normal steering set up w/ the lift arm.

4. 4X4HIGH

I kinda figured you still had the push/pull draglink. That makes it even easier to get bent.

5. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

mine's done that for years, not to your extent, but after a leaft turn it sits slightly left, after a right turn, it sits slightly right. I guess I need to check my draglink.

6. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Might need to include frame flex on that list.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Mine will be 45 degrees one way or the other. Always does that. Wheel your trails backwards and see if it fixes itself.

8. 4X4HIGH

Frame flex isn't an issue unless the frame is twisting and staying that way. Yes the frame will flex and cause it to be off when wheeling but you won't usually even notice since you are constantly turning. Once you hit flat ground the steering wheel should be right where it was before you went wheeling. So i guess you could say that if the frame got tweaked it could also cause it.

9. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Check for any frame cracks near he stering box!!

10. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

That's what I'm referring to. Given the stock steering geometry, it doesn't take much.