Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering play

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by j99, Sep 7, 2004.

1. j99

j99 Newbie

I have 1988 k5 that likes to wander,but the tie rods and
    ball joints seem ok.A friend of mine has 89 same problem.
    I was thinking may be gear box. any ideas??

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

check the frame area around the steering box, our trucks are prone to the frame cracking around the bolt holes.

3. j99

j99 Newbie

thanks ...but frame is good
    is hould have giving more info on this truck.
    didnt think anyone would read this.
    Its is all stock 80,000 miles ,31s

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dotn know maybe one of the more experienced people will chim in.
    BTW welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Try replacing your steering stab. Mine wanders a lot but not as bad when I replaced my steering stab. Every old K5 I have driven has loose steering. You can also replace the shaft that links your steering wheel to the box. Usually the box isn't bad if the seals seem good. I would maybe consider emailing the guys at AGR. They rebuild steering boxes and might have some proffesional insight they could give you /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. j99

j99 Newbie

thanks for the help ,
    I think I will change all the shocks up front (all 5)
    and see if that helps.The box does not leak. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

check the rag joint on the steering shaft (where it connects to the steering box). These get old and can actually fail, causing a loss of steering...

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Have you tried adjusting your steering box? That can remove a lot of play if done correctly.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The wandering K30
    You need to study how everything is moving as someone else moves the steering wheel back and forth. If you determine that it is the steering box, adjust it.

10. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

My 86 had a bunch of play in it, so i had a friend move the steering wheel through the loose portion while the Blaze was running, and I checked with my eyes down below to see if i could see anything loose. It ended up that one side of my draglink was loose as hell. Turned out that the previous owner forgot to install the grease zerk on one side, and that ball & socket joint worked itself really loose /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Hope this helps

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I agree. Troubleshoot first, buy parts later. Get somebody to steer back and forth while you're on the ground looking at the parts moving (keep the vehicle in Park). Chances are that you will figure out in minutes what the problem is.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the bushings in your front leaf springs,both ends--the front "eye" of the stock springs often open up and allow the bushing to flop around in the spring eye.Also make sure the center bolts in the spring arent sheared,allowing the leaves to shift around.Another often overlooked item is the bolt that holds the pitman arm on,if it gets loose it will hog out the steering box shaft and make it sloppy,and make sure the bolts holding the box on are tight,and the frame has no cracks(sometimes the frame looks perfect--until you take the box off! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif--other than that,if your ball joints and draglink and tierod ends are good,it could be the tires doing it,misalignment will make it wander around too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. j99

j99 Newbie

thanks to all for the info.
    Idid have it up on rack and looked at alot of those parts.
    I had someone turn the wheel but no luck.I did not check the center bolt or eye bushings . that what I am going to do now. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You probably won't see it as easily if its up on a rack. That takes the pressure off of everything, makes the wheels easy to turn even if something isn't tight.