Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Play

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Question, how much play should my steering have? I raise the front end of my ’91 on jack stands to check for play and I’m getting about 2 inches by moving the wheel side-to-side. The ball joints seem to be OK. Any info. would help, thanks.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sure its not the ball joints? If not check the torque on your spindle nuts. Where exactly is the play at? At the rim? just the tire? or will the whole system move from left to right two inches while pulling on one tire? What about grabbing the tie at 3 and 6 o'clock and pulling and pushing in and out any play there?

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. Alex

Alex Registered Member

BowtieBlazer, both tires moved as the same time. The entire system/linkage moves simultaneously, from the steering box (pitman arm) to the wheels. I tried to move the ball joints and tie rods, as hard as I could and there was no play.

4. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Someone posted a link recently about dialing play out of the steering box. Try a search. Thats where it sounds as though you may have the issue.

John

John