Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problem after lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pow06er, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

ok so i got my 4" lift on with 0rate and i have a raised steering arm on

ok so i hope its just a draglink adjustment problem since i havent touched it i didnt know i would lose turning radius

so wats the deal i am able to turn it hard left but only a little to the right

do i just need to adjust the draglink?

2. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

this is common being able to turn one way better than the other woith the push pull stock steering. your draglink should be level but with the lift im guessing its not anymore. when it comes down to it you need crossover steering it will blow the stock crap out of the water.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sitting on level ground, you should be able to steer to both sides. You need to adjust your drag link so that it's longer. :cool1:

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The draglink should follow the general arc of the spring, and it should be level only if the spring is flat.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My draglink is not angled at all with a 4" lift and raised arm. 100% level with ground.

6. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

well i believe i know whats wrong

while we were hooking the draglink up to steering arm we had the steering wheel unlocked and i think the steering wheel somehow got turned far right so we just hooked it up not knowing and now i dont have enuff to turn right but i have a lot to turn left so wat im gonna do is unhook the draglink from the steering arm, straighten the tires, go in and make sure i have even turns on my steering wheel and it is close to where it was stock in my case a little left due to putting the steering wheel on crooked then adjust draglink to drop back into hole on steering arm

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You will still have to lengthen the draglink I believe.

8. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

yea i know thats wat i meant by when i have the tires straight and the steering wheel where it needs to be im gonna adjust it till it drops into the hole on the steering arm

BTW matt gave me the idea

9. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I just installed a 4 inch on mine, never removed the steering wheel but put on a new drag link. Well, now the steering wheel is upside down when going straight and i got more turn to the left then to the right... :doah:

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pull into the driveway with the wheels as straight as possible. Leave the key in the position that unlocks the steering column. Now lengthen the drag link until the steering wheel is straight, and everything should be back to normal. :cool1: It's been a LONG time since I did one, but you might even have to make the steering wheel to 1.5 loops back do straight before you have turning ability in both directions...

11. MTChevy

Harry, I just did what you said and you know what? It worked! I have the same amount of turn to each side and going straight the steering wheel is right where it needs to be. Awesome! Harry, maybe you should come to MT? This is 2 problems in 2 days you have fixed! hahah thanks again! Id have my dad look at it but he says i know way more than him when it comes to it. He didnt even understand how a camshaft works? hahah

12. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

drag link length for sure, adjust and you'll be fine. Jack up truck. rotate the steering wheel until the pitman arm (bottom of steer box) is in the middle of its travel range. then while the sterring colum is locked adjust the draglink (loosen pinch bolts and rotate with pipe wrench) until the tires point straight forward. retighten pinch bolts, set truck down and your done

13. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

never mind, glad to here you got it done :waytogo:

14. MTChevy

this isnt my thread, i guess i kinda hijacked it, but i think we have/had the same problem, hard left, not much right... just a drag link adjustment. What I did was pull in the driveway with the wheels going straight. Steering wheel was upsidedown. I loosened the 2 clamps and lengthened until the steering wheel was straight (steering wheel unlocked). retightened the clamps, and it was right on

15. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

yea i got it now

but now i got other problems

16. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

I think that the lifted steering arm is longer then the stock one. well its like that for my 6" lift. Just wondering though...if i lenght my stock drag link how much thread should i have still in the clamp. thanks