Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problem, help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

today during my lunch period, i was driving back to school and i made a right turn, and after the turn my truck started to pull to the right. and i dont know why, then i made a left turn and it stopped doin it. when i made that initial right turn there might have been a 'click' but u couldnt hear it cause my radio was on too loud. what could it be?
    it kind of worries me so please help
    thanks

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

One cause of a steering wheel "sticking" and pulling to either side after a turn is the front axle u-joints. The bearings in the caps rust, and the u-joints just don't fuction as well. You might think, well, mine hasn't shown any sign of this, so that can't be the case. Wrong! Mine all of a sudden just started to stick one day.
    I'm not saying for sure that this is what's wrong with your truck, but it is very possible considering your description is exactly what I recall happening.

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

thats a definite possibility, what do i do to fix that? grease them or replace them?
    and if i need to replace them, how do i do that?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If your front axle u-joints have a zerk fitting (I highly doubt they do) you can grease them. Otherwise, you'll have to replace them. Go to your parts store and buy two new u-joints. Then, either buy or borrow a wheel bearing locknut socket. BIG, with I think 4 indentations on it. This is needed to take apart the wheel assembly. Then, go remove your hub, take out the internals, use your socket to take off the locknut, pull off the rotor, catch the falling wheel bearing, pound off the spindle, and pull out your axleshaft (no c-clips in diff to worry about). Replacing the u-joints will be the same as any u-joint replacement once you have the axleshaft in hand. I hope all of this made a little bit of sense for you and the information is correct. If not, someone speak up and help. One thing I can suggest is to do one side at a time. That way if you aren't sure how something goes back together, you can look at the other side.