Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering problem --Please help a newby UPDATE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K-5 Guy, Sep 2, 2002.

1. K-5 Guy

K-5 Guy Registered Member

Hey all, i tried to search for this topic but didn't find what i wanted. I have an 86 k-5 blazer. Now for the problem. I have alot of play in the steering when i'm driving down the road i can turn the steering wheel about 2 or 3 inches in each direction with out the wheels actually moving any ideas why ?? also i popped the hood and reached down and grabbed the steering shaft and i could turn it about 2 or 3 inches in each direction and when i did this the steering gear moved a little.When i bought the truck the guy told me he had replaced the steering gear and balljoints. Please help as i'm pretty new to the whole Big Blazer thing.My wife won't even drive the truck because of the play in the steering, i guess that could be a good thing huh.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Thanks for the help
    Mike.. <font color="blue"> </font color>

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: Steering problem --Please help a newby :)

Sounds like the steering box is loose. There is a allen head set screw on either the side or top of the box.(I cant remember which) Loosen the lock nut and tighten the set screw about 1/4 of a turn at a time. That should help to tighten the box. Dont for get to tighten the lock nut when youre done.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

The screw that Outlaw612 is talking about is on the top. You should also look at the tie rods to see if they are bent @ all, and the tie rod ends for slop. You should just have a buddy hop in the truck, and turn the wheel side to side while you are looking for any excess movement in the above mentioned parts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Hope that helps!

-Dan

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Tie rod ends, drag link ends, cracked frame where the box bolts up and lastly slop in the box itself. Thats the order I'd check things out...

Rene

5. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i had the same problem when i first got the truck. i had both drag-links replaced (about $180 at the shop, much cheaper yourself) and that helped a bit, and then i just got used to it. there's still a bit of play, but i really don't even notice it anymore...

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Something that noone has mentioned yet is the pitman arm. My steering has been loose for a long time and I never did find any worn out joints. A few days ago I was reaching through the window turning the wheel while looking at the steering box and I saw the pitman arm moving up and down because it was loose on the shaft. I hammered it back up into place and tightened the bolt. Now the steering is pretty tight and I can keep it on the road.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Just check everything from the steering wheel to the tires. Start with the ragjoint. Then make sure that the bolts holding the steering box to the frame are tight. Make sure the bolt holding the pitman arm onto the pitman shaft is tight. Check the ends of the draglink for play. Check the tie rod ends for play. Adding a brace to the steering box will also eliminate flex that can allow some play while at the same time elimating future problems with frame cracking...which reminds me...alse make sure your frame is not cracked around the box.

8. K-5 Guy

K-5 Guy Registered Member

Thanks for all the help, i found that all 4 of the bolts holding the steering gear to the frame were loose. I tightened all 4 bolts nice and snug and wow what a difference, feels pretty tight for an old 86... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I checked every thing else outwhile i was under there and every thing looked good. You guys and gals on this board are great.I think it's time to send my money in for a membership /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Again thanks for all the good suggestions.
    Mike...

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That's the right attitude....! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

You could have brought your K5 to the dealer and paid a lot more than $25 to get that problem fixed...... CK5 gave you the answer for free!

It only gets better....one of my first questions was also about steering wheel looseness. As you start "digging in" to the K5 and come up with tougher questions, you'll find that the people here will still know the answers.

There are a lot of SMART DUDES here! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif