Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problem

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoshA, Apr 11, 2001.

1. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I've got a '72 with a bad steering problem. when I'm driving it suddenly jerks to one side like one of the tires is turning without the other one, and it will pull to that side for awhile until I make a hard turn the other direction. it sounds like a tie rod end problem, but I replaced both ends with no difference in the problem. I know someone on the old board had a similiar problem, but I don't remember anyone having a solution. any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

There are a list of things that you can try.
    make sure your leafs are on tight,
    check stabilizer shock and brakets,
    check the wheel bearings(lift up your rig and check them, kick the tire a bit and check again),
    check the ball joints while your at it,
    check the steering box and linkage(have someone move the steering wheel back and forth),
    check the brake caliper(make sure they don't stick),

ARQ.

3. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I had a similar problem with my 72 blazer. Replaced ball joints, sterring arm, checked tie rod ends, steering box, etc. Anyway it turned out to be the spring pack centering bolt was sheered off on the drivers side. Just something to think about!

4. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

thanks, thats something I hadn't thought of. I'll check that out.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

While your checking your steering box you might as well check your frame were the steering box bolts to it thats an area known to be a big problem...