Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problem

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by steve9er, Apr 21, 2001.

1. steve9er

steve9er Newbie

I just bought a 72 blazer with a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires, and the steering really stinks. It wanders all over the road, I'm constinatly trying to correct the steering wheel. Could it be ball joints? I've checked the wheel bearings and they are good. Could somebody please help me out? Thanks

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    If your suspension and steering componants are in good shape you can try adjusting the power steering.If you look at it from the top(not the power steering pump but the other thing,I can't for the life of me remember the name of it)there is a large nut.In the middle of the nut is an spot for an allen wrench to attach to.Loosen the nut and turn the allen wrench clockwise a quarter turn each time and then check the play in the steering.Once your satified tighten the nut and that's it.I did this and it really tightened up my steering.
    I'm sure some-one else can describe the procedure much better than I have.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Another common problem with the steering is that the steering box works its way loose. The frame is also bad about craking around the steering box holes. Start by trying to tighten the 4 bolts first. I actually replaced my bolts with grade 8 and used thread lock on them. I haven't had as many problems since.

Good luck,
    Travis

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

When I first bought my Blazer, I had a wandering problem (it was pretty severe). The Blazer had brand new ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link ends, etc. I checked all of the above as well to no avail. When I decided to check the tire pressures and correct them, I found that the wandering problem went completely away (and the truck handled MUCH better to boot).