Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Aug 23, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    When I turn the wheel when I am stopped my power steering pump makes funny sounds. plus it gets hard to turn at times. I am full on fluid. Do I need a new pump?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

is it a groan or does it squeak? a groan might mean it needs replacement, a squeak would mean that you probably just need to retention the belt(unless you're serpentine)

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Hey adam, check the belt tension and fluid level first, changing the fluid is a good idea if it's burnt as the pump does not enjoy pumping burnt fluid and lowers the efiiciency of the pump.
    With larger than stock tires/wheels it is normal for the pump to protest a little when turning the wheels to a locked position when idling so don't be too quick to think the pump is failing.
    The hydrauilic pump for the power steering is very similar to the hydraulic pump in your transmission and enjoys similar upgrades such as synthetic oil and a oil cooler......good luck and happy to see you got the bugs worked out. :bow:

4. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    It even had a squeak when I had the old engine in the truck. There is new fluid in it(Not even 3 weeks old). I am noticing that when I am go really slow or stopped and if I turn the wheel it will get hard to turn then it will turn smooth then it will get hard to turn again. I think I will replace the pump for the heck of it. I hate seeing a oily pump on my new painted red engine. I think I am going to upgrade the system a little. I will add a new pump and MABY a cooler. What other kind of stuff can I do.
    By the way if I bought a coolor where would I put it? I have a HUGE engine oil cooler(8 core) and a HUGE tranny cooler(6 core).

5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Just mount it up behind the grill somewhere somewhere, wherever it can a good flow of air........ :bow: