Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Mar 28, 2007.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

almost got the truck done and ready to go on the road and ran into a problem.. while the truck is in the air the tires will turn to each side as it normally does.. once its on the ground it will turn all the way to the left, but barely turns right..

i can tell it needs an alignment because of the steering wheel position while the wheels are straight.. my teacher told me that the tie rod may have to be loosened up a bit from the looks of it but im not sure..

also from what i understand the dana 44 and 10b steering arms are the same. i had a 44 that i was going to throw in my truck, but needed alot of work so i converted my 10b to 8 lug and used the steering arm off of the 44. would that have anything to do with it?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you just install a lift ??
    If so you will need to extend the draglink by turning the adjustment collar.

3. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yep maybe i shouldve specified.. i installed 4" front springs and a shackle flip in the rear along with a zero rate

thanks for the info

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

draglink needs adjusting. problem solved :)

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont waist time on alignment machine. hop in truck and drive it 50 - 100 ft to center the wheels. then loossen the adjuster bolts and turn the sleave till wheel centered. and recheck it on a road test. but make sure you go the right way. make sure you have thesame # of turns left and right from the wheel.

and if you want to check toe on the tires then 2 people and tape measure. 1/8-1/4 toe in in the front more than the back. and make sure you both measure from the same points front and back on the tires.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

How straight is your draglink? I guess I should say how level is your draglink. Like said above, you will need to lengthen it some. It also helps if it is level as possible. Like using a drop pitman arm or a raised steering arm.