Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Problem!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TK5, Jun 17, 2002.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I just installed a 6" Rough Country lift with the raised steering arm, extended brake lines, lengthened my drive shafts and etc. My turning radious to the left is very extreme, but to the right is very poor. I just put on a raised drag link, but still the same results. I have adjusted and adjusted and adjusted. Now I'm taking a break from adjusting. Anyone have any suggestions??????

TK5 in Tennessee

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

did you have the gearbox centered when you put the pitman arm on.i dont know if you could have had the wheel turned when installing it.or maybe ajusting the steering stop bolts on the hubs.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get back in the truck and get the tires pointing straight ahead dead-on.

Then get out and look at the steering box. Take a look at the pitman arm and check to see where the arm is pointing at.

The arm needs to point straight out to the tire, 90 degree's from the frame.

If the arm does not appear to be pointing straight out at 90 degrees, you need to adjust the drag link until the arm is sticking straight out to you. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I did not remove the pitman rod. I did remove the drag link and put a raised link in place. I did center the gear box and the stops were screwed all the way in until they flush.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

How did you center the gear box? Did you do it by centering the steering wheel? If so, the steering wheel is not the best method to get the gear box centered.

You need to eyeball the pitman arm to get the gear box centered. Once the pitman arm is 90 degrees from the frame rail, then you can get in and check to see if the steering wheel is centered. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Drag link is too short lengthen it

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Can you say - CROSS OVER?!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Good luck.. I gave up on mine, and eventually just installed the cross over. Turning problems resolved! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

8. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I appreciate all the help figuring out my steering problem. I gave it up yesterday and started touble shooting again today. I actually did nothing but take it it out to a gravel parking lot at a church down the road from house and made some left and right circles (not cutiing donuts or such) but just to see the track of the tires left in the lot. There is very little difference in the radious's. Thanks again to all.

Phillip TK5 in Tennessee