Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 00silverstreak, Dec 16, 2003.

1. 00silverstreak

00silverstreak Registered Member

It seems that my steering wheel has about 1/4 turn of play in it before the wheels will actually move in the direction i am turning. I just recently replace the power steering pump which did help it a little. Could this lack of steering responce be worn out bushings??(they kinda are). or could this be a sign that the steering gear box is going out?
    S

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Put the truck up against a curb (tires parallel to curb) so that when the wheel is turned one direction, the tire hits the curb, and doesn't move. Doesn't even need to be running.

Have someone turn the wheel while you inspect the steering shaft in the engine bay, and if no play is evident there, check the drag link. Thats the piece that is attached to the pitman arm. Those tend to wear out.

Can't think of the name, but also inspect the long rod that conencts the two front wheels. (not the axle lol) The joints on that wear out as well.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah check your tie rod ends as well, I think thats what Dorian is thinking of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well that wander is a wonder. There are at least a dozen areas that cause that. The TRE's, ball joints, bushing, sway bar, lift springs, gear box, piman arm, bearing, and a couple more. I have an entirely new D44 and new steering system. It wanders, (then again I have a detroit in the 14FF with 37's no sway bar and a lot of flex) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    You wil find it hard to get new truck response out of that f-up in geometry GM calls solid axle steering. If it is scary to you right now jack up the truck and check every part mentioned above out. Or take it to a reputable shop and have them look at it. Few places will charge for a front end inspection on a solid axle GM. Two reasons for this: One it only takes 5 minutes (literally) and Two most shops dread working on older dirtier trucks.

Hope that will help

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There ya go, tie rod! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check the steering box bolts that hold it to the frame. My steering box bolts have loosened off a few times now. Most recently all four were finger loose /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Needless to say it was a handful to drive, and I blamed a lot of that on the TSL's.

Oddly enough I now have no play at all at 'center', it doesn't follow every imperfection in the road, and it's now a pleasure to drive again.

Other problems I've had in the past that caused vague steering were bad drag link ends, frame crack at the steering box, loose bolts, bad ball joints and bad tie rod ends.

Rene