Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering problem

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by justinf, Feb 4, 2004.

1. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have two 98's, one 98 Z71 extended cab and a 98 Tahoe, 4x4.

There is a problem in the steering on both trucks, but it's worse on the Tahoe. If you are going straight down the road and make a slight adjustment in the steering it will sometimes pull the wheel slightly farther in the same direction that you are moving it. This is not real fun on the ice.

The z71 does the same thing, but only when you are making a harder turn, you sometimes feel it pull harder in the direction of the turn.

I would like to know if anyone else has experience the problem and if so, what it is and how to correct it.

It seems weird that it's happening on both trucks. We've owned the z71 for three years now and just bought the Tahoe about a month ago. I do have a warranty on the Tahoe (3 month, 3000 mile from the dealer I bought it from) but it only pays 50% of parts and labor, and I would like to have some idea of what's causing it before taking it in.

thanks guys

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

most likely the idler arm

3. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I thought something like that also, but I had the z71 into get aligned, and they said the idler arm, ball joints and tie rod ends were all in good shape and they seemed fine when I checked them myself, but then again, the z71 is only doing it occasionally. I have not checked any of that on the Tahoe. Thanks.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Wasted wages went through this a while back and I have the same problem on my 97 K2500. Here is a copy of the PM wasted wages sent to me after he fixed his:

Well it's fixed,,,,the problem was the steering position
    sensor,after much research I found that this is a problem with 95-98 chevy and GMC's. The power steering pump has a variable orfice on the high pressure line that is controlled by the sensor, when the sensor fails, the pump will supply full boost to the steering box at the wrong time. the sensor is a rheostat type sensor,and it gives an intermitent reading to the computer,this results in the feel
    of the steering "dropping out" from under your hand at times. the sensor is about 60 bucks (dealer item) and takes about 1/2 hour. It is located under the dash on the lower end of the steering shaft.(plastic ring with 3 wires coming out of it)

You might want to PM him to get more information.

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply, I just got the same response to the question off the 67-72 message board. they had a thread on there a while back showing some pictures of where it's located and some pricing information for ordering it, along with the part number, click the link below for the thread.

steering sensor