Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Problems after Lift HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwc, Nov 6, 2004.

1. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

Just installed Tuff Country 2" HD front springs and 2" rear springs. I got almost 4" of lift on the front, 3" on the rear. My steering wheel is off center now, about 45 degrees to the left. Do I need to lengthen or shorten the drag link? Should I get a raised steering arm meant for a 4-6" lift? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I don't think you need a steering arm right now. They springs should settle a bit. There is an easy way to center your steering wheel.

1. Jack up the front of the truck and put the axle on jack stands.
    2. Start the truck. The steering gear is self centering. It will automatically center itself. The wheels will be pointing to the left.
    3. Turn the truck off.
    4. Loosen the bolts on the adjusting sleeve on the drag link and start lengthing it till the wheels are pointing straight forward.
    5. Tighten the bolts on the adjusting sleeve.

This will get you pretty close until you take it in a get it aligned. They'll prolly have to adjust it again slightly, but it should be liveable till then.

3. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think you need a steering arm right now. They springs should settle a bit. There is an easy way to center your steering wheel.

1. Jack up the front of the truck and put the axle on jack stands.
    2. Start the truck. The steering gear is self centering. It will automatically center itself. The wheels will be pointing to the left.
    3. Turn the truck off.
    4. Loosen the bolts on the adjusting sleeve on the drag link and start lengthing it till the wheels are pointing straight forward.
    5. Tighten the bolts on the adjusting sleeve.

This will get you pretty close until you take it in a get it aligned. They'll prolly have to adjust it again slightly, but it should be liveable till then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input, I will give it a try in the morning. Anyone else have input?

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

he is correct
    draglink needs to be longer

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, DON'T get the raised arm....trust me. Bump steer city!!