Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering problems After Lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by splatzone, Jul 26, 2006.

1. splatzone

splatzone Newbie

Ok guys i have a 78 blazer 6in lift springs all the way around.
    38 swampers.

it likes to pull to when i hit bumps. and when i am changing lanes it will be hard moving over then when i get half way it just goes really fast over..

I have replaced the Steering stabilizer, ball joint on driver side. steering knuckle after the bolts broke off.

I have installed the drop pitman arm from Super Lift, and the raised steering arm. and still same problem

And the other problem is in my drive train when I slow down I get a vibration and same when I speed up at slower speeds

I have replaced ever single U Joint that I can it was fine for couple days and same problem again

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

How does your frame look where the steering box connects? Are there any cracks?

3. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

Are you running the stock push-pull steering? If so the drag link should be as level as possible. Are you running the stock driveshafts? Have you dropped the transfer case any? Do you know what your pinion angle is?

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

your pinion angle is probably too steep you need degree shims to point the rear axle up towards the t-case

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Welcome,

Like the others said, check for cracks in the frame around the steering box, check for loose tie rod ends and drag link ends, check to make sure the draglink is perfectly level, check alignment (primarily castor angle).

The vibration is most likely caused from too much angle in the u-joints, or un-matched angles in the u-joints (Example: the u-joint at the transfer case is a steeper angle than the u-joint at the axle)

Good luck!

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Good question? I always thought it was level to the horizontal....... please correct me if I'm mistaken.

7. splatzone

splatzone Newbie

thanks for the suggestions.. we looked at it today.. it got a clicking nose from the box area. were putting it on the rack today to check it out.. the drag link i got the drop one it's not totaly lvl but i noticed on the arm for the steering going to the other tire needs a new joint moves allot..