Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering problems? Need Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud77, May 2, 2004.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I have a k5 with 8" skyjacker lift and no sway bar. The thing was really hard to keep on the road. IT would float all over the road so i figured that i would put a sway bar on with a set of ord sway bar disc. It did not help if anything it made it float around more. tie rods seem to be good and ball joints are faily new.

Would a cross over set up help this?
    This one really has me stumped please help /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What do you have for a steering stabilizer?

I'm assuming you used a different steering arm, because a stock one will make what you describe happen with a 4" lift.

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I have a single skyjacker stabilizer and am running 35" tires.
    The steering arm,drop drag link and drop pitman arm were used to correct the steering.

Any other ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and replaced the bushings in my springs and replaced the drag link. Keep a watch on your frame too, may be cracked at the gear box. My box keeps backing the bolts off and have to keep tightening every now and then. No matter how much loktite I use it still keeps backing off. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

i will have to check the steering box but the springs and steering parts are all pretty new. Probably only about 2000 miles on the stuff.