Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problems-travel

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadL, Sep 15, 2001.

1. ChadL

ChadL Registered Member

background: 2.5" skyjacker lift, 9000 shocks, 33" bfg's, all new tie rod ends, drop pitman arm. The lft and pitman arm are 60 days old the steering gear box i changed at the same time. Now my turning radius is different from left to right. My left turn is terrible, this truck used to turn a very tight circle--still does to the right. I thought it was the box so I picked up another one but now I'm not sure. If the pitman arm travels any further forward (during left turns) it will hit the springs. everything is keyed, I don't think it is installed wrong, but I am totally baffeled. My brain just isn't up to the task and elk season is only a month away. Am I missing something?? thanks for any help.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Try adjusting the steering tierod that goes from the pitman arm to the steering arm till the pitman arm points straight to the left with the wheels pointing straight.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The bad news is this is happens with lifts only real way to fix its to doa cross over. Which is easy to do as 1st gens have flat top right Nk and the motor mount is not in the way like the 73 and ups are.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I don't think that a 2.5" lift will screw up the steering geometry all that bad. I'd first try Triaged's suggestion. I also don't know whether a dropped pitman arm is necessary for a 2.5" lift. Is your drag link parallel to the ground? Do the studs in the ends of the drag link sitck out of them perpendicular to the direction of the drag link?