Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mxrcr589, Jun 6, 2004.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

My dang steering is getting worst. It sucks! My wheel doesnt stay centered. If it is centered, when i go around a right hand turn lets say, after the turn i will have to hold it to the left to go straight. But after driving in a straight line it will get centered again. Is it my gear box, or tie rod ends or what??

2. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

make sure to check your steering box bolts. i had the same problem, except it continued to get worse and i found that the bolts for the steering box were loose.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

You can check what funkycold mentioned and it may be the problem. Something else to check is the pin that goes through the springpack to be sure that it is not sheared. When it is sheared the axle will move front and back, effectively make the drag lonk longer and shorter, putting the steering wheel out of whack. I had a truck with a 4" lift once and the sway bar was hooked up but did not have any drop down brackets or sway bar disconects and when the spings would compress it pushed the axle housing back and sheared the pin, and it steered like how you desribed.
    A good way to check the steering to see if anything is loose is to start the truck and have a friend turn the wheel back and forth and watch for things that move but shouldn't. If you don't have any friends to help when you want to check you can reach under the inner fender well and turn the steering shaft by hand back and forth, I don't have any friends so this is how I do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif