Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cityfarmer2, Jul 27, 2004.

1. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Well guys it happened again. I have an 85 Blazer with a Dana 60 up front and an 14 Bolt in the rear only running 35" inch tires but for some reason I am shearing the studs on kingpin steering link. Three weeks ago a sheared three out of four and went in a not so straight line to a complete stop, this time I was cruising at a pretty good clip heard a pop and immediately slowed and pulled ever so gently off the road. I found two studs sheared and I nearly soiled myself. I am running a steering correction block but all looks good on the assembly. I am taking it in today to check the alignment, but seems funny these grade eight studs are just braking. Any one have any ideas. Christ this could be deadly... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
  2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Mar 22, 2002
    are you running the stock steering setup? i think the correction block is your problem, your putting a lot more leverage on those studs and thats why your breaking them.

i would go with a drop pitman arm and get rid of the block or even crossover steering. ORD sells ARP studs that are supposibly stronger than stock or anything else, but i think they only come in stock length.
  3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sep 1, 2001
    The strength of the fastener isn't the real issue at hand. It is the torque on the fasteners. (stronger fasteners will take more torque to be torqued correctly).

How many lb/ft did you torque the bolts to?

The thing you need is the friction between the 2 objects that the bolts hold together. The more torque you use the more friction. More friction = good

Make sure that both areas of the spacer, knuckle, etc are all very clean and unpainted. You want BARE metal with no oil, grease, paint, etc on it. Those things will reduce the amount of friction on the parts.