Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Problems.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 28, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Sometimes when i turn say a right turn it turns and when i correct it (putting wheel back to straight) it keep trying to turn right and then i have to put the steering wheel left a lil bit then ittl really quickly shoot to the left then i have to correct that. And finally it goes straght... it only sometimes does that.. and sometimes ittl pull to the left and someitmes right like im ahving alinement porblems.. i duno wtf is wrng.. any ideas?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next... off with the cat's and a single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

2. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

I would check u-joints and ball joints and maybe cracked frame at the steering box.A seized u-joint cap will do some funny things with steering.

chevrules...always has and always will

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Post more details! Did this start all of the sudden? A gradual problem? Been doing some hard wheeling?

There are tons of things that can cause a wandering front end. Is the box tight? Is there a crack in the frame at the box? Almost sounds like the box is too tight.

Keep us posted.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

crank your box down and fix your cracks!!! Thats from experience![​IMG]

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well i havent had the k5 for too long, yeah i did some hard wheeling, hurt my front wheel bearings but those got replaced.. maybe i hurt some other stuff too? Yeah now that i think about it, the steering problems started slowly after i went wheelin a few times.. at first it was like alinment issues pulling to the right or left then now its doing what i described earlier... but not all the time.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Check out Jimmy Jacks post above!

Look at the main page and find ORD. Look up the steering brace kit for cracked frames. Bet your frame is cracked.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I just had a massive weld repaired this afternoon. It was 6" long and wrapped around the bottom of the frame and through the bottom right bolt hole. I was gonna post pix but I was too embarrased! Got a new gear box too, it was wasted.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

8. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Might be a slipping gear or worn one inside the box itself. But check for correct torque on the box and for cracks first.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

It is very important that you use a steering brace or it'll crack again! Talk to some of the guys here! Do another post asking about this! It's only about $100 or so bucks. Prolly much less than you paid for the weld job ...