Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JerseyBlazer, Apr 3, 2002.

1. JerseyBlazer

JerseyBlazer Registered Member

i replaced my tires on my truck with 12-15 (33x12.50x15) denman ground hawgs, now the truck wanders severely on ruts in the road. i replaced the steering stabilizer and still no change. i cant figure out what is going on. all the suspension components were replaced 3 months ago. this problem started immediately after i replaced the tires, i the balanceing and rotated the tires and its still the same! any ideas anyone?

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

have you checked the tire pressure?

3. JerseyBlazer

i tried the tire pressure at 30, 35, 25 its stays the same, just a little bumpy at 35 psi

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Are the tires bias-plys? If-so, it's a common problem and is part of the wounderfull world of bias-ply tires. (do they follow ruts?, even un-seen ruts?) Also, . A taller/wider tire will feel different, but shouldnt be un-safe to drive.

Drive it, get the 'em broke in a bit. Then have the alignment set.
    I would sink in as much Caster as possible, specs call for +8 degrees, thats hard to get, but the more Caster you can get, the less it will try to swerve.

Again, don't expect bias-ply tires to act like radials, they are different and wil act to road conditions differently. (I'm pretty sure Ground Hawds are bias-plys).

5. JerseyBlazer

unfortunatly the hawgs are bias ply. i will drive it awhile and get the alignment done. thanks for your help, i hope it works

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Get used to it. My 14.50 SSR's do the same thing and they are radial's. It has alot to do with the width of the tire.

7. JerseyBlazer

im going to try the alignment, if that dont work im just going to live with it. thank you for the info.
    pete

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Not just that they are bias ply, but they are directional treaded. Anyone who knows about directional tread will tell you, it will follow a rut/crack/drift like a white on rice. I was towing a boat when I was "forced" to "remember" this. Thank god for waterproof seat covers/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!