Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wasted wages, Dec 15, 2003.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

My 97 GMC yukon has developed a steering problem ,the truck is a 2 door 4x4 and is bone stock. the problem is the steering is very jerky around the "netural"position when driving in a straight line,,as soon as you give a little correction (right or left ) the steering wheel moves and then the truck jerks like the steering is "catching up "

I've inspected the tie rods and steering linkage and every thing looks tight except some slack in the pitman arm from the steering box.I tightened the steering box adjustment
    but that did not seem to help.Is there any part that normally wears out that could cause this.Does GMC use speed sensitive steering,and if so could there be a problem with it causing it to act this way??

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Check your power steering fluid.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it sounds like the pitman arm is changing the toe in which is giving you the undesired steering. also check the idler arm. take a floor jack and get the weight off one front tire, with the steering wheel locked, move the lifted tire left to right. watch the center tierod link to see how much it moves on the pitman and idler arm.