Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering probs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 00silverstreak, Dec 23, 2003.

1. 00silverstreak

00silverstreak Registered Member

I have replaced the power steering pump and all the brackets that hold it on. The old brackets were broke and just wrong. Now i still have about 4 inches of steering wheel play before the truck actually responds. There isnt any slack in the steering shaft that connects to the steering box, this i know. What could be causing this problem. I have looked at the gear box and see no cracks in the frame or anything like that. One friend told me to replace the pitman arm, which I will probably end up doing. Anyone else know of a reason why this might be happening.
    thanks
    Scott

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have someone watch all the steering stuff while you turn the wheel back and forth... See whats taking up all the travel.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep you are going ot need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth real quickly so you can look at all rod ends and at frame rail at steering box and at pitman shaft out bottom of the box for side to side movement of any kind in which would mean worn out box, and any slop at end of pitman arm too and draglink ends. something is worn or loose you shouldnt have play slop in wheel

4. 00silverstreak

Ive been looking for a replacement pitman arm as well as bushing kits for the front end. Ive found all the bushings and what not, but have yet to find a place to buy a replacement pitman. Anyone know of a good place?
    S

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think I'd just go in and replace the pitman arm unless you here from a lot of folks on here that they are a problem. I personally can't remember the last time I heard of a pitman arm actually going bad. Maybe on this site you'll see bent ones or something, but if you've got play, it's because something is loose, not because it's bent.

I'd concentrate on the draglink and tie rod ends.

6. 00silverstreak

Thanks guys, Ill be checking this weekend to see what i can come up with. Im thinking bushings, but who knows.
    S

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how about the rag joint? cheap, problematic and fairly easy to change if i remember correctly..

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

My vote is rag joint, drag link ends, or steering box.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

My draglink has gone bad on mine. No great amounts of steering slop but it's definately there. Anywhos have fun staring at your front end while your bud turns the wheel back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.................................................................................................and back and forth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good luck to y'all.

Allan

10. 00silverstreak

pardon my ignorance, but a "rag joint" is what?? Im pretty auto savy but have to admit. I have never heard of a rag joint.
    S

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

It is the round part that is attached to the steering box and the steering shaft attaches to it.

12. 00silverstreak