Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering pulling on acceleration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZPiNsTrIpEd, Dec 12, 2005.

1. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

Like the title says any time I'm going down the road and give it gas, my truck pulls to the left, and when I let off it does the same thing. Which makes it look like i'm swerving all over the road. It also does it mildly under hard braking also. My power steering box is new with standard push-pull steering. Truck is an 84 Blazer w/ 4" lift and 35's 44/14ff combo. I'm thinking this is a ball joint problem but not sure. Let me know what you guys think

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

99% of steering issues come from worn out tie rod ends, draglink, balljoints, or a combination of all three. Do a really good inspection of all your front end components and you'll see what needs replacing. It could also be a sticky front axle u-joint, but I highly doubt it.

FWIW, new balljoints and drag link ends tightened up my front end a lot and basically eliminated all the wandering issues I was experiencing.

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Ya when i first got my truck my steering was as loose as a 40yr old hooker! lol we replace my tierod ends and links. This helped ALOT. then i got my truck aligned and the tires balanced. now i have almost no pull at all.

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Since you mention a 4" lift, retighten your axle u-bolts. They sometimes wiggle loose after wheeling, or if they have just been installed recently.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you put a raised steering arm or a dropped drag link on it when you lifted it?

If not, the steering geometry is off, and when you accelerate, the weight shifts to the rear, causing the front to lift. This effectively pulls the steering knuckle forward, causing it to go left. When you back off, the distance closes, pushing the steering knuckle back, causing you to go right.

6. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Along the same line as fatbob, I'd also check all the center pins in the spring packs. I had a busted rear one and had a nasty pull under acceleration and braking only.

James

7. AZPiNsTrIpEd

I used a raised sterring arm and have also gone through and checked all of things 79Jimmy and fatbob mentioned. I think its my drag link ends. I'll run a search and see what good brands are to use. If you have any reccomendations feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Justin

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Moog front end parts all the way, baby!!!!! :thumb:

9. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

Do you have a locker in the rear? Check you tire pressure and make sure they are even. I have a detroit and got a slow leak in one of my tires. It was jumping all over the road when I sped up or slowed down. One tire had 30psi the other had 15psi.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Exactly what I was thinking , but they can do it with the air pressure the same .

Its in the manual with any locker bought new , what to expect when throttle input changes abruptly from coast to drive and back again .

11. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Do you have a locker in the front? Unlock your hubs.

12. AZPiNsTrIpEd

No locker in the front, but i do have a detroit in the rear. Didnt even think about checking the tire pressure in the rear, hopefully thats the problem. easy fix:D