Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering pump where do i fill? bleed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i jus swapped in my flare style lines from o-ring style, and need to fill the pump back up with fluid, where do i do this? do i need to bleed it also? how do i do that?

thanks,
    james

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You remove the resevoir cap and fill it from there. As far as bleeding it is recommended that the wheels be off the ground and that you cycle the steering wheel back and forth about 20 times to remove air from the system.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

is there a cap or something i have loosen to remove the air, like with the brakes? or what?

thanks

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

No, just fill the resevior up to max, jack the front of the truck up. Leave the cap off, the air will escape from here. start the truck and turn the wheel back and forth a few times, lock to lock, check the level again, and continue to turn the wheel back and forth as mentioned around 20 times or so. Make sure fluid is at proper level, cap and go.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

20 times if your lucky!:rolleyes: some steering system are alot more finiky them others. mine took about 200 times (no kidding) to bleed. the proper way is to remove the return line (put it into a bucket and plug the return port at the box) keep the resivoir filled and do it that way. it seems to wrok faster but is more of a pain in the butt.