Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jun 23, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got a wailing noise coming from my steering when I lock it out. I understand this to be the pump. It's fine on fluid, but leaks pretty bad. Do I need a new pump or can I rebuild my original unit? Need a cheap fix till I can afford a crossover steering system.

bryan

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

If you have the scrill I would just buy a new pump,but if it's a "cheap fix" rebuild it.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

SCRILL??? Money?

hmmmmmm....

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Just about all of my chevy's, cars and trucks whine when I lock out. Depending on where it is leaking from it may be a cheap fix just to go to napa and buy a seal kit. I paid like $14.00 and replaced the seals above the pitman arm if thats what it is called. I think there are some posts on here about how fun it is to take it off. Did mine with a ball joint spreader to get the arm off. Took a few hours and some cussing but hasnt leaked since and that was 4 years ago. Good luck.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depending on price it may be cheaper (in the long run) to get a new unit (may have to re-use reservoir). With crossover steering you still run the same PUMP, it's just the box (actual the shaft inside) that needs to be changed/swapped. This way you will have a new pump and one less thing to worry about (wouldn't be a bad idea to put a small cooler on as well).

Do it right once and you won't have to redo it half-a$$ed several times ($$).

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I've run into problems with the pumps trying to lock up at full lock. It doesn't completely lockup and it's hard to see but try to see if the belt may be slipping when you put it to full lock. I may be wrong but sometimes it the simple things that get ya.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys. If i do have to put in a new pump, will a 3/4 or 1 ton unit be any beefier or will it even fit?

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

There's a good chance it may be your belt slipping. Mine used to make that terrible noise at full lock. I bought a new belt and made sure it was tight and it doesn't make any noises at all.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LIB...I'll try the belt then. All my belts are kinda old, maybe it's time to retire them all and replace with new ones. They'll make good spares. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif