Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Crash90K5, Mar 29, 2000.

1. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Any suggestions on how to get the pump off a '90? The bolts (3) are hidden behind the pulley. The pulley does not have any holes to get a socket through, and I can't figure out how to anchor it to get the retaing bolt off (this holds the pulley to the pump) My Haynes (IMHO is a POS) manual only describes pulling one off of a pre-serpentine belt truck. I left the belt on, but all I'm doing is turning the motor over.

Thx-

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

You must be doing your AGR pump <grin>. You should be able to get the PS bracket off somehow. If you take the bracket off, then you should be able to get the pump off the bracket. The pulley comes off with a special pulley puller. I took mine down to my local auto parts (Checkers) which they had a puller that grabbed the outer center and pushed on the inner shaft. Took him a while with an impact so it's not that easy. Others have said they use a horse shoe type of puller. Do not use a gear puller! This will bend the pulley. To install the pulley, use the bolt supplied and tighten the nut to force the new pulley on the shaft. If this doesn't make sense, give AGR a call and they might be able to explain better than me. Good luck!

Shawn
    87 K5
    w/AGR box and pump

3. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Thanks Shawn, I'll have to go back and look at the way it's setup... If I remember right, it's tied into the alternator bracket?? I guess the real question is how do I get the PS bracket off somehow? Man, I hate crawling around in that d@mn engine compartment, my back is giving me fits!

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I do believe your (89-91) PS and alt bracket is one large bracket. It's NEVER easy is it... Good luck!

Shawn

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

get a milk crate or something similar to stand on, it'll help your back.

and be glad you're not working on an import, those damn things are dense!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>