Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Dec 11, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Also as part of my winter upgrade project, I did crossover, which means 2WD ... I just swapped sector shafts as my box was okay, I thought, and it was quick and easy.

Now, though, the steering wheel is a bit jerky, and isn't, hmm, smooth. Takes a bit more effort to turn the wheel and it kinda sticks at some points.

Obviously the system leaked some fluid when I changed sector shafts, so I bled it when I was done, jacked the front end up, popped the cap off, did 30 turns lock-to-lock with the motor running (I don't have the forearms to do it with the motor off! :eek1: )

Any ideas on whether this is normal or if I did something dumb to my steering system?

-- A

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I swapped my 2wd box on it did the same thing, and I had just drilled and tapped it for hydro assist. The box was near empty of fluid when i installed it. I just let the truck idle for 20 minutes or so, then turned the wheel back and forth a few times...topped up the fluid and called it good. It did the 'sticky' thing for a few weeks here and there and then it just cleared up.

I didn't swap the sector shaft though...

I suspect I may have had a bit of debris go through the box though, but I'm not certain of that either. I spent a lot of time cleaning and blowing it all out after drilling and tapping, plus used grease on the drill and the tap and went real slow.

Rene

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you re-adjust the sector shaft after you swapped it? If not this is your problem and you better adjust it otherwise your steering may lock up on you.

Also you need to make sure that sector shaft you used is of the same design as your box IE: standard ratio steering or variable ratio steering, you cannot interchange the sector shafts from one to the other.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

:doah::mad:

Forgot the adjustment procedure. First thing I'll do.

[Edit: fixed the problem -- amazing, that, if you do it the way the write-up says, it works. :doah: ]

I was under the impression that the fixed and variable ratio shafts did not interchange ... mine fit, is all I know.

-- A

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005