Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering question 3.5" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, Jul 23, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

steering question 3.5\" lift

ive got a '91 k5 with 2.5" suspension lift and 33's.....

ive got a 14 bolt i need to finish and install, and i'm going to convert the front 10 bolt to 8 lug. i want to run 35x12.50-15 BFG M/T's on new 8 lug 15x10 steel wheels. i don't mind trimming a little, but, i don't want to hack a whole lot, and i want to be able to flex without hitting the fenders. my ass end is also sitting about 1/2" lower than the front. so, i was thinking about getting some 1" zero rates to put up front, and 4" blocks out back. that'll bring the front end up 1" and the back 1.5".

my question is mainly about steering. i'm going to pull my shocks off to see if they will be long enough, and my brake lines are extended stainless lines, so i think they'll be ok. my steering is stock right now. i do have an extra raised steering arm, but i'm not sure how high. what should i do to my steering with 3.5" lift? would an offset draglink work? or a drop pitman arm? or should i try to use my raised steering arm? i think it might be for a 6" lift, it looks quite a bit taller than the stock arm. my draglink grease boots are ripped, and i need to replace them anyways. my steering has also been pulling to the right under suspension compression and decompression after i installed the ORD weld in patch and bolt in brace.

thanks.
    chris

p.s. i'm not wasteing money on crossover on the 10 bolt. crossover will come when i can afford a D60.

2. LilWes278

LilWes278 Registered Member

Re: steering question 3.5\" lift

I'd say the easiest thing to do is use a 3" steering block. I've got one if you want to trade for that steering arm. PM me if you're interested, as I probably will not keep up with this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Honestly, if the raised arm is already on the K5, it will be enough. If not, then put it on, and you should be fine with the amount of lift you mentioned. I don't think anyone makes a "raised" arm, that is for a lift lower than 4"... so what I mean is: it should be a 4" (at minimum) arm, and should work.

4. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

raised steering arm not on the blazer, it's on a donar axle i have in the garage. i don't think i want to go with a block because that puts exta leverage on the arm. im not sure if the steering arm will be too much steering correction or not, i guess i should measure it. i would rather buy a drop pitman arm or offset draglink, than use a free steering block.

what's everyone's opinion on how much steering correction should be used? from what i've heard in the past is 2" under the lift size, so, like a 6" lift should have 4" of steering correction? what do you think? would 4" raised steering arm be too much for 3.5" lift?

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what do you think? would 4" raised steering arm be too much for 3.5" lift?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be fine. I would use it if it was me.... for what that's worth to you. I would just use the arm, nothing else. I had a 4" arm on a K5 w/ a 4" lift and it turned on a dime.. no troubles at all. It was at least evey bit as good as stock on the radius. I doubt very seriously that it will give you any trouble if that's what your thinking.