Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Question for a friend...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Jun 17, 2004.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I thought I saw a post not too long ago about this, but searched to no avail.
    My friend has 12" springs and wants to know what to do for steering. Im not sure he is going to go to crossover and is gunna maintain a 10bolt front for now. What are his options? Just a drop pitman arm and a raised steering block? Where can you get the steering block?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

First off - SCARY! But you knew that. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2" dropped Pitman arm, 4" raised steering arm and a 3" block ought to about do it for him. He could add a dropped drag link for another 2" but dropped drag links can be kind of a pain. It's going to steer like crap with or without it, so it probably doesn't matter too much. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Any of those parts can be bought at just about any offroad supply place, local or on the web.

3. corpusmotorsports

corpusmotorsports Registered Member

Well... I (the guy needing help) need to know what routes I can take. As he said, I have a stock 10 bolt. I eventually want to swap the axles but for now, I need the truck "driveable".. This doesn't mean my daily trail truck.. Just able to get down the road. I just called 4wheel parts, they recommended the Steering Arm ($53), Spacer ($59) and Drag Link ($125). Now, after about $250 of parts, am I wasting my money or should I just save up and get something else such as crossover? If so... what all do I need for that and what will each part cost?

Thanks in advance.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Crossover is expensive on a 10 bolt or a 44, requiring machine work and somewhat hard to find parts. If you need it on the road ASAP I'd go with what the guy at 4WPW recommended for now, but rather than the dropped drag link get a dropped pitman arm. they are a little harder to find, but it's a much better and less expensive piece. Keep your eyes peeled for a D60 too because you're going to need it...

Also, I assume that with that lift you're running some pretty big tires, please make sure that your ball joints and all tie rod ends are in good condition, if any of them break you could be in a world of hurt real quick. They won't last very long either, so keep a close eye on them.

5. corpusmotorsports

Thanks for the quick replies guys. As far as the d60, yeah....I want one but as you all know, they are pretty pricey. I think for now, i'm going to go with what the guy at 4wp told me. I mean, if it works, it works. I can always sell it a year later for half the price I bought it for on ebay or something. But, to answer your question, I "will" be running 40's one day, but that wont be until I've geared my axles and whatever else I need to do. For now, i'm running the same ol' 33x12.50's i've had for the past 4 years. Yea.. looks really goofy on a 12 lift but oh well. I'm also trying to save up for the 383 stroker i'm building too... Just takes time and patience i guess.

[​IMG]

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I would seriously try to get a dropped pitman arm instead of that bent draglink.

7. corpusmotorsports

Where can I find one?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

4WPW can get one for you, the guy just has to actually crack a manual to find it. I forget who makes them, but one of the major lift manufacturers will make one I'm sure.