Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering question(s)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Nov 8, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey guys, I've finally got around to addressing my steering issues. First, the problem. Now, I know that the blazer (72) has a strong strong steering box, pump etc. Really, handy in the mud, but driving on the highway or at any speed over 15 mph it gets kindda freaky to have that much play with the steering. I mean, I keep two hands on the wheel at all times (oh, wait, itsn't that required by law /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) Anyway, I don't know if this helps but the steering wheel itself is out of alignement in that to drive straight requires it to be turned to the right (say a quarter turn). Anyway, I do like the power steering but is there anyway to tighten up the steering. I thought ball-joints, tie rods, etc. but thought I'd check here first to get pointed in the right direction. With the icey roads coming up, I want to be sure this steering stuff is addressed. Thanks for any help guys, and if you think you ve got an idea about what the problem and solution might be, but need more info, let me know.

MarcD
    getting K5'd alive

2. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

You may need all new ball joint tierod ends things like that but you can also turn that srew on the top of the steering box I think clock wize will titen things up but its been a while it may be the other way you will need to try it and see what happens. The best thing would be to change to cross over steering.

3. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Thanks earl....I m just looking up cross-over steering on google to find out more about it. I did a search on previous posts and found that some people had the same problem and were recommeded to change the steering box. Not sure if a change to cross-over steering will solve that but it does seem that others have had crazy tales with loose steering
    MarcD

4. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

If you could fillout your location and let us know ware your from.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

check the box itself. If there is slack in the secter shaft, you can tighten it up a little with the screw/nut on the top of the box. I don't know if the frames break on them, but gen 2's tear the frame behind the box.

6. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Don't worry to much about the cracking frame issue. It is prob more important to gain control right now. Most first gens. came w/ a reinforced plate at the box.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif