Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fulltopblazer, Nov 19, 2002.

1. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

This may be a stupid one but here we go. Do you need to have crossover steering to run the WTO hydro assist, or can you run it with the stock steering set up. I know cross over is better but money is kinda tight right now. And I really don't want to do crossover till I get a D60, but I can't hardly turn my blazer right now.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can do it without crossover, it generally attaches to the tie rod, which is unnaffected by going crossover. </font color>

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think stock setup would bind with the hydro assist when full droop. You see, the steering box can no longer steer the wheels, but the hydro assist can, so one or the other has to give in this situation.

Why can't you turn the Blazer right now? Maybe a shot ps pump? That wouldn't help with a hydro assist. Even the wrong wheel backspacing can make tires hard to turn.

4. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm sure it has to do with my wheels and tires. the PS pump is new and the box is in good shape. It will vturn fine when your rolling, but if I'm in mud or if the tires are in a bind in rocks at low speed its real hard to turn. BTW I'm running 39.5" boggers on 15x14 wheels with 3.5" backspacing.

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Go here http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html do some of those mods to your pump, I did them all and
    I can turn 100 times easier then before. The you can save up and get the crossover and Hydro assist at the same time.
    These mods wont cost you a dime either. Later -Flexy
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif