Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 6, 2003.

I've got a 89 K5 Blazer and I have a steering play question, but let me list what I've already done.

I replaced the following parts with new parts:

All 4 ball joints
    Both draglink ends
    Just replaced the steering gear box with a new one

The steering isn't that bad, but seems like I can move the steering wheel anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 turn before I notice any substantial cornering. I checked the frame and there isn't any cracks in it. I checked both tie rod ends, and they're fine. I have a 4" lift with 33" tires and would like to get the steering down to the 1" limit on steering play. I just put a new steering gear box on, and it seems like I can feel about 1" of real play in it, but the steering just seems sloppy to me ever since I bought the blazer. What about frame flex and putting on an ORD steering brace? I could really use some advice on this! I've had 4 chevy 4x4's and this one seems to have the worst problem with isolating the steering play.

Thanks,
    Doug /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'd go ahead and get the ORD brace, it helps stiffen it up...check the rag joint (flimsy looking circle thing by steering box) it might be broken, or you may just need to tighten the steering box.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, a steering correction might help too if you dont have one

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe you could have somebody wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and see if you can find out the problem. Mine all looked good and it turned out to be a frame problem. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One way to check is to put the tire up against a curb, and have someone turn the wheel with the truck turned off, while you start under the hood, checking both the pot and rag joints for play, and just work your way down until you find one piece moving, and the other "hesitiating".

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Also check that the spring bushings aren't shot. That will let the axle move to the side instead of turning the wheels.

6. Thanks for the replies!

I checked the rag joint when I put the "new" steering gear box on, and it looks great! Do I really need to adjust a new steering box?

Thanks,

7. The suspension lift was brand new when I put it on last year. The bushings still look great! I haven't changed the rear upper front spring hanger bushings yet, but they don't look bad. I put a 4" steering arm when I installed the lift, so the steering geometry should be fine. I've had someone wiggle the steering from side to side before, and haven't noticed any significant movement in anything. What's the easiest way to visually see frame flex? I'm thinking that, or maybe for some reason I need to adjust the new steering box?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!