Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Oct 20, 2003.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

After lifting my k5 this weekend and putting new axles under it I have noticed that my steering wheel is 180 degrees out and that my steering wheel locks before my wheels are turned all the way to the right. How should I fix this? All Ideas will be appreciated....Jason

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

How big of a lift? Did you install a raised steering arm?

Here's what you need to do to "center" your steering wheel:
    1) Drive your truck in a straight line for a good 20 feet.
    2) Park your truck and turn it off, but then put the key in the "run" position to unlock the steering wheel.
    3) Loosen the two bolts on the drag link (piece going from steering arm to steering box) and turn that adjusting sleeve one way or the other to lengthen/shorten the draglink. I've found a plumbers pipe wrench works really good for this.
    4) Turn that adjusting sleeve until the steering wheel is "straight".
    5) Tighten bolts on adjusting sleeve.
    6) Make sure that you actually have the center, and you're not one full revolution off of it. Check for this by starting from your "centered" position and turning until the wheel locks to the right. You should get the same amount of steering wheel revolutions going from center to left lock as well.
    7) Test drive to make sure you're happy with how "centered" you've made the wheel...make adjustments accordingly.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like you need a raised steering arm because this is exactly how mine acts with a 5" lift. I haven't installed my steering arm yet.

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I installed a 4" lift with a 4" raised steering arm and new draglink ends. I am going to try that today thanks for the info.....Jason